Here are some things to keep in mind when buying a condo as you drive past a construction site:
- What is the builder’s track record at completing projects on spec and on time?
- What is the marketing company’s track record at communicating with buyers throughout the sales process and before closing?
- What will the unit feel like? How can you evaluate the floor plan as realistically as possible?
- What upgrades are appropriate and how are they priced?
- Should you lock your interest rate? Lock it sooner and pay for the costs or lock it later when the construction is closer to completion or not lock it at all?
- How is the unit priced in light of a market trends and other projects in the pipeline?
- How will you time selling your current property and close on the new one?
- How prepared are you for the project finishing 6 months late?
- What is the developer’s reputation for handling pre-closing punch list and post-construction defects?
Hope this helps!